Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Looking Forward with One Down



 Reading wasn't always my passion. In fact I hated the idea has a child because it kept me away from my 42 acre backyard. As my reading scores fell my 3rd grade teacher put me in a special group called Chapter One Reading and it was there when I learned that there are no rules to reading that you can listen to or pick up a book of any kind. My teacher allowed me to pick any book I wanted so I chose "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" by Alvin Schwartz. It opened my life up to reading and I soared above all my classmates within a year. Keeping with the horror genre I was reading Stephen King by 5th grade and never really stopped reading horror books.

It's not so much what you are reading or how but that you're absorbing the messages, learning about the characters and feeling the intensity of the plot in a good book. Though I mostly read horror I do get some good solid literature in but it's not like I'm reading for a grade its just for fun.

A lot of people that don't read I find have the same excuses such as "it's boring" or "I don't have time". We've all fallen into these same excuses at one time or another. I've developed a few methods to get past those excuses and into a book.


1. Choose books that interest you. I love zombie movies so I went in search for books with zombies. They don't have to be bestsellers or critic approved to be enjoyable they need to appeal to you. That alone got me started reading a book a week.

2. If you can't find time to sit and read a book listen to one. When I was too busy I would take 15 mins before bed to relax and listen to an audio book before bed. Rent one from the library and listen to it on your ride to work.

3. Make reading a part of your routine. Take a book for lunch breaks and read a bit everyday.


Looking forward to 2011 and reading more than 32 books this year I hope to engage you as a reader to get past that 32 book mark and find those odd macabre reads intriguing enough to pick up.

No comments:

Post a Comment